July 26, 2011

Chocolate Banana Bread

Chocolate banana bread has been on my mind. Not because it is currently being ingested right now but because it has been driving me crazy. This was the first recipe I tried and it is so simple. Cake mix, bananas, milk and some cinnamon if you want. And it was ridic yet it was shameful that it wasn't completely from scratch.
First there was a poor attempt at a recipe made on a whim. It was too fudgy and it couldn't complete cook through no matter how hard I tried. Next up, I went for the infamous coco-nana bread by one Dorie Greenspan. This was way better but still not as good as the first. I then broke down into a weeping heap on the kitchen floor. 
That was a lie. The sensible being that I am excepted that cake mix is awesome and this bread is my best banana friend. And that is tough competish.

Chocolate Banana Bread

1 Devil's Food Cake Mix
1 1/4 cup very ripe banana, mashed
1/4 cup milk (skim or whole works)
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1 cup milk chocolate chips (optional)

Preheat the oven to 350ยบ. Butter a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan. Mix together all the ingredients until just combined. A few bumps are alright, they will work themselves out. Pour batter into prepared pan. Cover with tin foil. Bake for 40 minutes and remove the foil. Continue baking for another 30 to 40 until a toothpick inserted comes out with a bit of batter. Allow to cool in the pan for 15 minutes. Move to a wire rack to cool completely. Makes about 12 slices.

* This bread is amazing when it is sliced with a serrated knife, each piece wrapped in plastic wrap, thrown in a freezer bag and allow it to freeze. They don't freeze completely because the bread is so fudgy. It tastes great frozen or reheated in the toaster. Enjoy! 

7 comments:

NotAMeanGirl said...

So, I don't have a loaf pan. (I suck, I know.) Would a 9X9 or an 8X8 pan work?

Hannah said...

Well according to all recipes it would work in either of those. The only thing I would change is to reduce the baking time to about 25 to 30 minutes and you should be good to go.

P.S. You don't suck.

Duke Silver said...

Could someone tell this Hannah chick to update her blog in the next century? Thanks.

Hannah said...

Pipe down there Jean Ralphio. I promise tomorrow!

supplements said...

It's a nutritious bread to bake and try with different ingredients.

NotAMeanGirl said...

I actually borrowed a loaf pan from a neighbor and has since bought one. My cake seemed a bit burned on the edges and the outside was HARD but the middle was yummeh! I'll definitely make it again (And I THINK I may try it with a spice cake mix next time since fall, she is a'comin;.)

Hannah said...

Yeah the bread is very very very fudgy! It is pretty crisp on the outside which is why I put tin foil over top of the batter for the first half of the cooking time. And spice mix sounds ah-mazing, brilliant idea.