July 14, 2011

(Vegan) Caramel Rocky Road Bars

I am immobile. For the first time in two years I attempted the Grouse Grind. Along the way I told my brother he had four options. 1. I turn around, 2. I go in to cardiac arrest, 3. He pushes me off a cliff to end my misery or 4. I trek out into the forest to find a bear to maul me and I put myself out of misery. Did I mention that I hate hiking? 
By the end though it was as if my body was so numb with pain and rain that I felt like Rambo coming out of that forest. I told my brother he should have carried me around the corner with blood on his cheeks and a bandanna on his head to impress our Paps. He did not think this was a brilliant idea. Stupid logic always ruins great ideas. These bars were a great idea to devour post-hike-that-nearly-murdered-me. This photo looks like a chocolate caramel burial ground. And I mean that in the best possible way. These bars are so chewy and get way better two to three days later. But I unfortunately only had one square left that was hidden after three days so good luck with that.

(Vegan) Caramel Rocky Road Bars
Adapted from Alice Medrich

1 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup plus 2 tbsp sugar
1/4 cup + 2 tbsp natural cocoa powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp kosher salt
1 cup cold water
1/4 cup vegetable/canola oil
1 tbsp distilled vinegar
2 tsp vanilla
6 ounces (dairy-free to be vegan) milk chocolate chips
1 cup coarsely chopped pecans
1/2 cup (vegan) quartered chewy caramels
15 marshmallows, quartered

Preheat oven to 350ยบ. Line a 9 x 9 pan with foil and butter and flour it. Whisk the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, soda and salt in a large bowl. In a smaller bowl combine the water, oil, vinegar and vanilla. Pour the liquid mix over the flour mix. Mix with a spatula until just smooth. Fold in half the chocolate, half the pecans and all the caramels. Scrape the batter into the pan evenly. Distribute the marshmallows over the top with the cut sides up. Press slightly into the bars. Sprinkle the remaining chocolate and nuts over top. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until the batter no longer jiggles when nudged. Cool on a rack. Lift the edges of the foil to transfer to a cutting board. Slide a metal spatula underneath the bars to remove the foil.  (I clearly did not do this. I just cut and devoured as I went.) Cut into squares. Serve warm or at room temperature. Keep in an airtight container for 3 days. Makes sixteen squares.

No comments: