September 1, 2011

Sea Salt Vanilla Bean Caramel

My past few days have consisted of me baking cookies and cooking up caramel, watching Big Bang Theory for hours on end, dipping cookies in caramel, trying to knock some movies of my must list like American Psycho, No Country for Old Men and Requiem for a Dream which is a lot of depressing for one day; making banana bread to smoother caramel all over, showing up for a waxing appointment that left third degree burns and coming home to eat more caramel whilst I sat in pain from my forming scars. 
Caramel is my savior. It's that time of the month where I feel like lying around doing nothing and imagining devious ways to attack people from trees who have disturbed me. They may lock me up real soon but in the meantime, let's have some sweet and salty caramel!

Sea Salt Vanilla Bean Caramel

1 1/2 cups sugar
1/3 cup water
1 1/4 cups heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 vanilla bean, sliced and seeded
1 teaspoon sea salt

Slice a vanilla bean in half. Using the back of the knife, scrape the seeds from the pod. Pour the cream into a measuring cup and add the vanilla bean scrapings, and sea salt. Set aside. Put the sugar and water in a saucepan over medium heat. Bring the sugar to a boil. Let the sugar cook (do not stir using a spoon, at most, you may swirl the pan to avoid hot spots) until it reaches a deep amber color. Whisk in the cream mixture. It will bubble and go nuts, but keep whisking. It will come together. Pour into a jar and keep in the fridge. The sauce will thicken, but it is more of a loose sauce. This will keep for about a week in the fridge.

No comments: