September 24, 2011

(Vegan) Mocha Coconut Banana Bread

There's something wrong with brains. They convince you that you must have your nails done perfectly everyday otherwise you don't feel right. They make you believe it's the school library's computer's fault that you didn't plug your headphones in properly and everyone was staring at you as you continued to turn up the volume for the Arcade Fire soundtrack whilst remaining completely oblivious. They make you believe that a loaf of banana bread is healthy because it has bananas. All of this seems logical according to brains.
remember this phota?

While this is mostly false in reality, banana bread is still glorious. It is probably to the thing that is whipped out of my kitchen the most. I intentionally buy loads of bananas knowing that they will never be eaten in time thus become brown and nasty. Banana bread likes them that way. 

(Vegan) Mocha Coconut Banana Bread
Adapted from Joy the Baker
 
1 cup mashed very very ripe bananas, about 3 bananas
1/4 cup canola oil
1 tbsp instant coffee dissolved into 1 tbsp of hot water
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
2/3 cup sweetened shredded coconut 
2/3 cup milk chocolate chips (or a vegan alternative to make the bread, well, vegan) 
1-2 tbsp cinnamon sugar (optional)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease and flour a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan. In a large mixing bowl, whisk the bananas, oil, coffee and sugar briskly to combine. Sift the flours, baking soda, and salt in a separate bowl. Dump the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Use a wooden spoon to mix until the wet and dry ingredients are just combined. Fold in the coconut and chocolate. Transfer the batter to the prepared pan and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar if you’d like. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes. The top should be lightly browned and a knife inserted through the center should come out clean. Remove from the oven and let cool for 20 minutes before transferring out of a pan and onto a wire rack to cool completely. Slice and lather it in caramel sauce and enjoy!

4 comments:

Marc Anthony said...

Must match bra or underwear, or I feel like the world will come to an end. Also, nice work on the no head phones thing, I'm always afraid I'll be that one douchey person. I'm coming over to eat that caramel sauce btw!

Hannah said...

So getz that. Everybody was looking at me and I was looking around like it was the person next to me. Big fail.

And see you on Thursday my best-selling hispanic artist friend.

Anonymous said...

Haha! I have that problem with my nails, too.

Every once in a while the natural food store gives away their really ripe bananas and I stock up! I usually freeze them for smoothies because I eat banana bread too fast! This looks tasty!

Hannah said...

I had a smoothie for breakfast the other day for the first time (not the first time I've had a smoothie but the first time for breakfast. I don't live under a rock.) and I tried your frozen banana idea and it was amazing! I've had a smoothie everyday since.