November 8, 2011

Maple Bacon Scones

I'm thee most vague person to walk the planet. It's a pretty bold claim but it's legit. My friends believe I lead a secret life and not like the strange TV show. No werewolves here. But when I used to do gymnastics for roughly ten years of my life, no big, it was a secret. "Of course it is true, those bruises all over my body are from when I fell off the couch the other day. Why don't you believe me?" As I'm writing this I see why everyone thinks it's nuts. 
The Bakers Market down on Prince Albert Street* in Vancouver is my new secret life. (Who is precise now?) It involves me baking up a storm for a few days, packaging like a freaking elf and then trying to look normal so people will actually look at my stall. This market is basically loaded with people who have shops, who rock a business or just straight love to bake like myself. Some people bake gluten-free goods, some make fresh bread, some make pies (ayo!), one lady makes lychee marshmallows that are amazing and it is all making me expand like a balloon. But I sort of love it. 
It's an excuse for me to bake all of my favourite things, not raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens, and put my piles of cake plates to use. Double bonus. My list of goods is cookies, some bars and scones. Including these bad boys. Every week I've changed the formula until when this photo was taken because they were perfect. Turns out everyone loves bacon because these are a hit. One fella comes in every week and buys four. Probably my new favourite person. 
Maple Bacon Scones
Rough rough roughly adapted from my favourite recipe a la America's Test Kitchen

scones
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp kosher salt
1/2 cup butter, chilled 
1/2 pound of bacon (half a package), cooked and diced
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup maple syrup
wash
1 1/2 tbsp heavy cream
1 tbsp maple syrup

Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 400ยบ. This method is the old school method that I use but the food processor instructions are below. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut the chilled butter into smaller pieces and toss it into the flour mixture. Using a pastry cutter, some knives or your fingers, blend the butter in until it looks sort of sandy with a few pea sized ones here and there. Toss in the bacon and mix it in. Pour the heavy cream and the maple syrup in. Using a spatula, mix this in just until a dough forms about 30 seconds. Then transfer the dough and all the floury bits to a lightly floured surface or a counter with a big piece of parchment. Knead this until it forms a nice old dough, just about 10 seconds. Pat the dough until it is about 1 inch thick and using a 2 inch cookie cutter, cut out little scones. Grab the scraps, and repeat. Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Mix together the wash and brush it over the scones. Bake those puppies for about 12-14 minutes, alternating the sheets halfway through. Makes about 10 scones.

Food processor method: Place the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a food processor. Pulse together about 6 times. If using food processor, remove cover and distribute butter evenly over dry ingredients. Cover and pulse 12 times, each pulse lasting 1 second. Add the bacon and pulse once. Dump this mixture into a large bowl. Proceed as you would with the other directions.

Make Ahead: You can shape these and put them on a baking sheet and pop them in the freezer for about an hour. Then throw them in a freezer bag and freeze them for up to a month. Just pull them out and bake as directed, maybe a couple minutes longer. 

* Coincidence? I think not.

5 comments:

Natalie@DeconstructingTheHome said...

This recipe looks so easy but with a lot of flavor. I'll have to make these for my holiday guests.

Hannah said...

It's super easy, especially if you make the bacon beforehand!

Barbara Bakes said...

Sounds like a heavenly way to start the day. I'd want to buy four too.

Hannah said...

Thanks Barbara! Bacon is a great start to any day.

Ben Wyatt said...

I shouldn't have eaten one of these for breakfast, because I consequently spent the rest of the day thinking about how I could make it to your bake sale stand during my 30 minute break, from the other side of town. Thanks a lot budz.