April 30, 2013

Banana Oat Cookie Bread Bar

If I have ever had a Vegas travel recommendation, it is this: go to thunder from down under. In case you don't know what it is and don't have access to google, let me give you a brief overview. It is a show held in a small, intimate venue where there are men who strip. Yes, it is just like Magic Mike. And yes, it was amazing. It turned out to be my best night in Vegas. Partially because my friend got pulled on stage. So did a grandma named Carol. You go girl.
Just to clarify, I was totally skeptical of this show. I am a very socially awkward and uncomfortable gal who says words like vagine the lagoon and perenus and bobz. I've said it before and I'll say it again, maturity has not hit yet. It was totally out of my 'comfort zone' but I screamed and blushed and sweat the whole time. Thank God my friends are awesome enough to make me to crazy, weird things. 
Being the skeptic that I am, these bars did not seem majorly appealing to me. They seemed too healthy with the whole all oats and no butter thing. But they were good, the kind of good that's a kick in the pants as an 'I told you so.' They were cakey but also slightly chewy with a crisp top. They were also great bait. My friend's brother had a new girlfriend so we asked him if he wanted some baked goods for late night studying. When we dropped it off we just barged into his quarters in the school to get 'cover from the rain' AKA bombard his girlfriend. She complimented my baking so I love her. Done.


Banana Oat Cookie Bread Bars
Adapted from Eat Live Run

I didn't know what to call these so they have a too long, weirdly arranged name. Sorry.

1/2 cup very ripe banana mashed (about 1 large banana)
1/3 cup grapeseed or canola oil
2/3 cup light brown sugar, packed
3/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 cup quick cooking oats

3/4 cup old-fashioned oats*
1 cup milk chocolate chips

Preheat the oven to 350ยบ. Spray or butter an 8 x 8 inch pan, set aside. In a big bowl, mix together the banana, oil and brown sugar until it is smooth. In a smaller bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, quick and old-fashioned oats until combined. Add the flour mixture to the banana mixture until just combined. Fold in the chocolate chips. Spread the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 22-25 minutes or until the edges are golden. Makes 16 squares. 

* I ran out of quick oats but I preferred the texture of the two oats. The original recipe calls for 2 cups of quick oats. 

3 comments:

alicia @bakeaholic said...

this looks so good!! Yum - Definitely will have to make these.

Hannah said...

Thanks!!

Anonymous said...

Found your recipe on pinterest. So I made these for breakfast. They are delicious! Might have been the not-too-overly-ripe banana that I used, but the banana flavor was pretty subtle which was better than I expected. Also pinned your chocolate candied popcorn recipe. Can't wait to try it! Thanks for sharing!