December 1, 2011

Nutella Coconut Caramel Pecan Bars

Canada is awesome. The one little problem is Thanksgiving. We get to celebrate way ahead of the States, all the way in early October. This gives us a few months to rest before the Christmas turkey rolls in. 
But the issue is the internet. Before food blogs came into my life, American Thanksgiving slipped by without me even knowing. Now the minute November strikes, I know something bad this way comes. Every food website becomes a turkey/potato/pie palooza.
Americans, this is my plea. Please stop making every-dang-thing you bake and cook look amazing. The drool has ruined my keyboard. Since there is nothing I can do about this, the only option is to give in and bake. And bake I did. This little number is like a pecan pie but one that likes to party with nutella and coconut on a shortbread dance floor. 

Nutella Coconut Caramel Pecan Bars
Adapted from my favourite shortbread and very loosely from beloved Buns in the oven

crust
2/3 cups flour
1/3 cup cornstarch
1/3 cup icing sugar
1/4 tsp kosher salt
1/2 cup butter, softened
filling
1 egg
1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
1/4 cup salted caramel or caramel sauce
2/3 cups sweetened flaked coconut
2/3 cups pecans toasted, some left whole and some halved
3/4 cup nutella

Preheat the oven to 300ยบ. In a bowl, sift together the flour, cornstarch, icing sugar and salt. Set aside. In a larger bowl, beat the butter. Dump in half the flour mix and stir until almost combined. Add the rest of the flour mix and stir until just combined. Press the dough into a ungreased 8 x 8 inch pan*. Bake for 20 minutes, until it starting to look dry on the top but not golden or coloured. Meanwhile this is cooking, beat together the egg, brown sugar and caramel sauce. Fold in the coconut and pecans. Spread the nutella over the hot crust. I let it sit on the crust so it would loosen then I spread it around. Pour the pecan mixture over top of the nutella. Return the pan to the oven for about 20 to 25 minutes, until the pecan mixture looks set. Remove from the oven. Immediately run a knife around the edges. Allow to cool completely then slice into squares and enjoy! Makes 12-16 squares. 

* My pan is boss. It is has a removable bottom. This is a life saver. Instead of having to panic about lifting things out of it or trying to get them from sticking, all I gotz to do it pop it out. If you do not possess this, perhaps line the pan with parchment paper to make your life a little easier. Or be a rebel, and do not do a thing. 

5 comments:

Sophie said...

Hannah your blog is my idea of Chocolate/peanut butter/caramel HEAVEN

Hannah said...

That is the greatest compliment ever. That is so strange, I legitimately just was reading your blog!

Samantha said...

This sounds SO good. I'm way too tempted to make these. Nutella, coconut, caramel, and pecan are my favourite things...and I'm not just saying that.

Hannah said...

Thanks! If I threw some peanut butter in there it would be everything I love.

MuchRatherBake said...

The pecan pie I came up with was pretty good but this looks like it's at a whole new level and now I want to make this and adapt my recipe to suit! A brilliant idea/combination =)