December 31, 2011

Peanut Candy Bar Caramel Corn

It was one of those mornings that was really the afternoon when I woke up with a pounding head. As I went to rub my face, as if to wipe away the pain, this inflicted even more pain on my throbbing nose. On the floor beside the bed, two dirty and wet socks were thrown near a pile of last night's clothes. At this point, I reached around for the time. But alas, no phone. 
And nope, it wasn't the morning after New Years so there is no logical reasoning except that my cousin had just arrived to town and a certain friend is very encouraging. Turns out, the pounding is because of a dance battle that involved a head stand. The wet socks are from an evening stroll that was so important that shoes were not. And to add insult to injury, my phone was at the taxi office on the other side of town.
When all is wrong, make some caramel corn. It gives a sense of accomplishment and it softens the blow of a hangover and the jokes being thrown around about last night's dance off. Don't worry, they are clearly just jealous of my mad dance skills.. and popcorn.
 
Peanut Candy Bar Caramel Corn
Adapted from my favourite recipe

3/4 cup butter

2 cups light brown sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda 
2 teaspoon vanilla extract
5 quarts popped popcorn (3 regular size bags of popped smartpop)
2 cups honey roasted peanuts
3 cups chocolate bars chopped (peanut butter cups and snickers are da-bomb)

Preheat oven to 250 degrees F (95 degrees C). Place popcorn and peanuts in two very large bowl.* In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Stir in brown sugar, corn syrup and salt. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil without stirring 4 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in soda and vanilla. Pour in a thin stream over popcorn, stirring to coat.** Place in two large shallow baking dishes lined with tin foil and bake in preheated oven, stirring and alternating sheets every 15 minutes, for 1 hour. Remove from oven and immediately toss in the chocolate bar chunks. Let cool completely attacking it with your face.


* I didn't listen to my own advice from my own recipe. Two huge bowls are needed and it will still flop over the edges. Think of it as a bonus snack to eat along the way.

** The popcorn won't be completely coated but as it bakes it will melt and coat as it's tossed. So remember to stir it around in the oven for maximum awesomeness. 

5 comments:

Sydney @ The Crepes of Wrath said...

These photos are unreal - I feel like I could reach into my screen and grab a handful!

Hannah said...

Why thank you!

KeyboardKat said...

Me wantz more updatez.

Hannah said...

Iz can't spellz.

Anonymous said...

*cantz

...duh.